9.10.2008

Chinese Life

Chase had the great idea to give you some insight into the costs of things here.  You always hear how things in China are so cheap.  Well, see for yourselves!

The currency here is the Yuan (pronounce "you in") or RMB. The conversion rate is about 6.85 RMB to 1 USD ($). I usually just use 7:1 to estimate prices. I will now provide a list of common goods or services that we purchase with their accompanying prices (approximate):

·  Can of Coke=2 RMB=$0.30

·  Bottle of OJ or Tropicana=3 RMB=$0.40

·  One-way bus fare=1 RMB=$0.15

·  10-15 minute taxi fare=14 RMB=$2

·  DVD of Hancock, Get Smart, or other unreleased movies=7 RMB=$1

·  Delicious breakfast pastry=1RMB=$0.15

·  Big Mac Value Meal at McDonald's=21 RMB=$3

·  12 inch Pepperoni Pizza from Pizza Hut=88 RMB=$13

·  Trip to supermarket for four days worth of food and miscellaneous household items=65 RMB= $9.70

·  5 gallon jug of purified water delivered to apartment=11 RMB=$1.65

·  Snickers Bar=8 RMB=$1.15 (not so much savings on the rarely seen items)

·  Costs and initial deposit to open bank account and get bank card=16 RMB=$2.30

·  Full-day bicycle rental in Yangshuo=10 RMB=$1.50 (no deposit, no names, no signatures)

·  Bamboo raft trip for 2 down Yulong River=150 RMB=$22

·  Package deal for 2: bamboo raft trip, mud cave excursion, full-day bicycle rental, personal tour guides, bus ride to caves=300 RMB=$45

·  Full dish of fried noodles and beef=10 RMB=$1.50

·  One night stay for two at Bamboo House Inn in Yangshuo=150 RMB=$22

2 comments:

mckenna said...

That's SO awesome!! You have no idea how completely jealous I am. Keep posting!! I LOVE living vicariously through you!!

And P.S. Clean your own tiny little Chinese apartment!! :)

Bryn and Blaine said...

Thanks for your entires Chase. I could really feel the spirit from your letter. I do not know why. I just fee like what you are doing is where you are supposed to be especially the church stuff. You are a good man Chase. I know your heart is a good one. I do not mean to get all mushy on you but I love you cous and I know you will and are making a difference wherever you go. I am writing this on here because I do not have your email address. My mom just keeps forwarding everything to us. Put me on your list for journal entires. BBBraithwaite@eotnet.net
Love Bryn